Mozambique is a southern African nation whose long Indian Ocean coastline is dotted with popular beaches like Tofo, as well as offshore marine parks. In the Quirimbas Archipelago, a 250km stretch of coral islands, mangrove-covered Ibo Island has colonial-era ruins surviving from a period of Portuguese rule. The Bazaruto Archipelago farther south has reefs which protect rare marine life including dugongs.
Visas are not required by SA passport holders for tourism purposes for a stay of up to 30 days.
For more information regarding food restrictions, passports/visa and pet travel enquiries, please contact the consulate/embassy.
Currency: Metical (MZM)
- Yellow Fever (if coming from an affected area)
- Hepatitis A & B
- Malaria risk
consulate/embassy Contact Details
Compulsory – available at any AA Accredited Sales Agent store; R160 (valid for 30 days)
If more than two people are travelling in the car, then two jackets will be required (to be used when changing a tyre, at an accident scene, or if loading)
Two stickers required if towing a trailer; one in the front of the vehicle (on the bumper) and one on the rear of the trailer
- Never give your passport to anyone and avoid using locals to assist with border assistance
- Look out for speed traps when travelling back to SA (5km before the Border Post on the downhill) it is a 60 km/h zone and you will be fined R300
- Rand currency is acceptable in Mozambique
- Carry copies of your passport and driver’s license