Malawi, a landlocked country in southeastern Africa, is defined by its topography of highlands split by the Great Rift Valley and enormous Lake Malawi. The lake’s southern end falls within Lake Malawi National Park – sheltering diverse wildlife from colorful fish to baboons – and its clear waters are popular for diving and boating. Peninsular Cape Maclear is known for its beach resorts.

Important Information
Visas + Currency


Visas are not required by SA passport holders.

For more information regarding food restrictions, passports/visa and pet travel enquiries, please contact the consulate/embassy.

Currency: Kwacha (MWK)

Health Requirements

Compulsory Vaccinations

  • None

Recommended Vaccinations

  • Hepatitis A & B
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Tetanus
  • Rabies


  • Malaria risk
AA Club

Automobile Association of Malawi

Address: Next to Old Town Mall, Lilongwe, Malawi

Contact: Caz Cranko
Tel: +265 1 750 245
24/7 Breakdown: +265 999 447 447

consulate/embassy Contact Details
  • Dailing Code (00265)
  • Malawi High Commission
  • +27 (012) 342-0146
  • Malawi Consulate
  • +27 (011) 803-4919
  • Malawi Revenue Authority
  • +265 1 622 588

Documents Required

  • Valid passport of the driver
  • Valid Certified copy of vehicle registration papers in the name of the driver passport of the driver
  • Letter of authority from the registered owner if the vehicle is not owned by the driver
  • If vehicle is still being financed, carry a letter of authority from the bank (must include dates of travel) together with the vehicle license papers.
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Temporary Import Permit for vehicle: Compulsory – approximately R15 payable in Meticals
  • Red Warning Triangles: 2 triangles required (does not need to be displayed on car)
  • Immigration Fees: R17.50 per person
  • Declaration Form for Vehicle: Cost is approximately R50
  • International Driving Permit: Recommended

Compulsory – available at any AA Accredited Sales Agent store; R160 (valid for 30 days)

 If more than two people are travelling in the car, then two jackets will be required (to be used when changing a tyre, at an accident scene, or if loading)

Two stickers required if towing a trailer; one in the front of the vehicle (on the bumper) and one on the rear of the trailer

Available at any AA Accredited Sales Agent store

  • Never give your passport to anyone and avoid using locals to assist with border assistance
  • Look out for speed traps when travelling back to SA (5km before the Border Post on the downhill) it is a 60 km/h zone and you will be fined R300
  • Rand currency is acceptable in Mozambique
  • Carry copies of your passport and driver’s license
(0 votes. Average 0 of 5)